Monday 4 July 2011

Tom Ford Shares His Thoughts On The Fashion Industry


 Tom Ford
Tom Ford, one of the biggest names in the fashion industry, has already dedicated 21 years to creating beautiful collections that have had many girls fall head over heels for. He made his name at Gucci, coming to the brand in 1990 and has since been named Best International Designer at the first VH1/Vogue Awards in New York. After Gucci bought a controlling stake in Yves Saint Laurent back in 1999, Tom Ford was made the creative director and communications director of YSL’s ready-to-wear business, whilst still continuing his role for Gucci.


Throughout his time in the limelight he has been known to be a very private person, so you will be quite astonished when I tell you he has been filming his very own documentary. The film feature was aired on the Oprah Winfrey Network on June 24th, entitle Visionaries: Tom Ford. With this name it won’t surprise me if this will be a series of documentaries.


The Tom Ford documentary takes an insight into the mind of one of the most creative minds not only as a fashion designer but also a visionary film maker. In the film Ford explains how uncomfortable in a way the influence the fashion industry has on onlookers.


‘We promote materialism, which is ultimately not the thing that brings you happiness in the world.’ He says in the film: ‘I have mixed feelings about what we do because we convince people they’re not perfect enough. He also discusses in the hour long documentary how he felt when he walked away from his post at the helm of Gucci, where he had been creating 16 collections each year.

‘I remember the day I left Gucci…’ Mr Ford is filmed saying. ‘I came home, pulled all the drapes, and went to sleep. I woke up the next morning and looked at my calendar. It was usually so full, and there was just nothing. I didn’t know who I was, I didn’t know what I was supposed to be.’



No comments:

Post a Comment